Vacancy – Music Journalist(s)
Fixed Term Position: 12 months
Number of positions: 2
Closing Date: 5pm 28th February 2018
Eastside Radio is launching a music broadcast news segment. The project is an extension of the work the station currently does to promote community issues within its inner-city Sydney and Eastern suburbs district.
We’re looking for someone who has a passion for journalism and wants to develop a platform for the issues that matter in Sydney’s creative scene. From reporting on legislative reform to celebrating the success of local musicians, you can expect variety in the content you’re researching, writing, recording and broadcasting.
If you’re excited about taking up a role where you can hit the ground running and develop a portfolio full of examples of the skills to make you a competitive new journalist then this is the job for you.
The successful candidate will be employed by the station for a fixed-term. The position is flexible with an expected workload of 1 day per week.
Short-listed applicants will be interviewed by the Station Manager, HR Manager and a Member of the Board.
Please address the selection criteria in your application.
– Find and report on arts and music news relevant to the station’s interests and audience
– Develop audio for weekly bulletin including script designing, recording voice overs, and mixing the ﬁnal product ready for air
– Post a weekly news bulletin to the website
– Develop social media content to promote articles
– Scope to develop in-depth and ongoing reports on major issues
Develop a practical body of work that will include up to 26 news bulletins showcasing speciﬁc skills including:
– Script production
– Article development
– Audio engineering for broadcasting purposes
– Social Media content development
– Gaining key workplace skills e.g. ability to work cohesively in a team that involves responsibility, accountability and cooperation
– An understanding of the contemporary Australian broadcasting landscape
– Conﬁdence in your ability to work independently to develop high-quality news articles
– Development of industry contacts
– In your second year of studying Journalism, Media, Communications or related degree
– Available for a minimum one day per week (work must be produced by Monday 7AM each week)
– Evidence of experience – this can be freelance articles, internships, or other related work
– Experience with audio editing software Garage Band, Audacity, and/or Audition (Pro Tools/Logic too)
– Experience with photo editing software e.g. Photoshop
– Experience with websites such as WordPress
– Experience with social media
Managing Director – Tony Smythe
Online Content Manager – TBA
Please send us your CV and address the selection criteria in a cover letter, including links to any published work and a 50 word article on your favourite band. Send applications to email@example.com and include the subject line ‘APPLICATION FOR MUSIC JOURNALIST’.
Applications close 28th February at 5PM.
About the Station
Eastside Radio is the community station for the City of Sydney and Eastern Suburbs. Having been on-air for over 30 years the station is an established cultural icon with a loyal following of listeners. We love the arts, jazz music, world music, the blues, soul music, hip-hop, funk and electronic sounds.
We are the only station in Sydney to devote 5 mornings a week to supporting theatre, dance, ﬁlm, design, literature, indigenous, visual and other art forms. Every afternoon we focus on the issues that matter to the community.
We are the heartbeat of our community. Many of our presenters and producers are working musicians, DJs and artists at the forefront of Sydney’s creative scene. Others come from distinguished careers in politics, advertising, journalism, science and education.
Over 30,000 people listen exclusively to Eastside Radio and a total of 76,000 people tune in over the course of one week. That ﬁgure grows to 160,000 listeners in a month and our website currently has 40,000 hits per month. Our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube networks now reach between 15,000 to 20,000 people every week and our fortnightly EDM goes out to over 5,000 subscribers.